Charles W. Cushman’s private color photographs, now available through the Indiana University Archives, depict scenes from San Francisco’s living past. From the World’s Fair to the hippies on Haight Street around 1967, Cushman documented the city like no other.

How many photos have captured a man and his raccoon walking on Telegraph Hill?

But of all of his shots, those of destroyed houses in San Francisco might be of the greatest interest to architecture freaks. From houses to some structures that no longer exist, here are some of our favorites.

↑ Old half-timbered house on the southwest corner of Franklin and Jackson. Demolished in May 1954 (photos taken 1953)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ Old half-timbered house at 2610 Jackson, Alta Plaza. (1953)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ Old house on the northwest corner of Lyon and the Pacific. (1953)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ Unpainted half-timbered house, northeast corner of the 21st and church. (1952)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ Pleasure Beach below Sutro Heights, Beach below Cliff House and Sutro Forest. Company: Bull Pup Enchiladas, Rifle Range, Little Theater, Cliff House. (1952)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ Old Fortmann mansion on Eddy and Gough. (1959)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ Old House on Franklin between Clay and Washington. (1960)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ Franklin and Clay Mansion. (1960)

Photo via the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection / Archives at Indiana University

↑ The Coast Guard building below the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco on a late November afternoon. (1961)

^ Ruins of the old St. Mary’s Cathedral, Van Ness in O’Farrell. (1962)