San Francisco Police made an arrest and disclosed new details when a beloved high school sports coach was killed in a double homicide at Bayview-Hunters Point.

Lamar Williams, 38, was killed on the night of November 18, 2020 when two men entered his home on Bertha Lane between Harbor Road and Hudson Avenue. According to the police, there was a shooting. Williams and one of the men previously identified as 30-year-old Demaree Hampton were gunned down while the other man fled the scene.

The police have now indicated for the first time that Hampton is a suspect in the case, despite the fact that he was fatally shot. And last week, officials arrested a 23-year-old man, Leaotis Martin, from San Francisco, who investigators believed was the second suspect to escape the scene.

In this case, however, questions remain unanswered. Police are still investigating why the men were home that night and declined to reveal exactly who allegedly exchanged shots.

“We believe the suspects shot the victim,” said police spokesman Officer Robert Rueca. “We are unable to provide details of the exchange of fire during the incident.

Lamar Williams. (Courtesy of Jennifer Friedenbach)

Martin was arrested for murder in Walnut Creek last Tuesday and booked on suspicion of attempted robbery in connection with the double homicide, police said. Police have not disclosed what evidence led investigators to identify him as a second suspect.

While Martin remains in custody, prosecutors have filed no new charges against him on the matter, but have filed a motion to revoke his parole based on a previous case, a spokesman said.

Reached by phone, a defense attorney for Martin reiterated that the prosecution had not filed a complaint against her client for murder.

“Mr. Martin is considered innocent and I would ask that his privacy be respected,” said Attorney Cheryl Rich.

The murders stunned members of the community last November, who remembered Williams as a loving track and field coach and security worker at Mission High School. Known as ChiChi, he previously trained soccer at the Galileo Academy of Science and Technology and was also married to a San Francisco firefighter.

“It’s incredible that happened to him,” Mission High Principal Pirette McKamey told the San Francisco Examiner at the time. “I cannot explain enough what a positive force he was wherever he went. He just made people feel so good and connected. “

The investigation is still ongoing and Martin will appear in court on Friday.

[email protected]

Bay Area NewsCrimesan Francisco News

If you find our journalism valuable and relevant, please consider joining our Examiner membership program.
Learn more at