SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) – Idaho’s Snake River Farms donated 35,000 Wagyu steaks to a number of small nonprofits in San Francisco on Wednesday, a donation of $ 2 million.
“A friend of a friend mentioned that there was this big steak donation going to be made in SF and they didn’t know who to give it to or how to handle it. Because I have a lot of connections with nonprofits and community organizations where it all came together, ”said Kanishka Karunaratne Cheng, who helped connect the donor to the recipients.
RELATED: 6 boroughs in the Bay Area relax some restrictions on on-site protection; Here are changes starting May 4th
Cheng was co-founder of a new nonprofit, Together SF, when the pandemic broke out. She saw the need for food, seniors needing help with shopping, and other issues the pandemic was causing in the city. But she never thought her charity would get involved in anything like this.
“So random! So bizarre! I thought, ‘Are you sure? Are we really doing this?’ It turns out it’s us! They showed up today and we are delivering them, “she said as nonprofits took up the steaks.
Snake River Farms typically sells to the fine San Francisco restaurants. With the restaurants closed, the company decided to donate. The company said in a statement it knew food can bring solace in a crisis and wanted affected California communities to know how much it means to the company.
RELATED: Bay Area restaurants each return one pizza to the community
Susan Murphy of Faces SF picked up 600 steaks to take to a food drive in the Bayview District.
“You will be very surprised and grateful to have meat, especially meat,” she said.
Cheng said they picked small nonprofits that are often overlooked when a large donation is distributed.
The George W. Davis Senior Center in Bayview was one of the recipients. The director said the chef was excitedly planning how the 3,000 premium steaks would be served.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours using the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos on the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates on the coronavirus outbreak in the US and worldwide
- Coronavirus Data: See the curve of COVID-19 cases bend in every county in the Bay Area
- Everything you need to know about ordering shelter-in-place in the Bay Area
- Note from the coronavirus doctor: Dr. Alok Patel gives an insight into the COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus Calculator: How Much Money Should You Expect From The Coronavirus Relief Bill?
- WATCH: ABC7’s Interactive City Hall ‘Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation’
- What Renters In The Bay Area Need To Know About Rent Payments Eviction In Case Of COVID-19 Outbreak
- Here’s how onsite protection and home ordering can slow the spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking Key Moments of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the San Francisco Bay Area /
- Coronavirus and the New Way of Life in the San Francisco Bay Area – COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour becomes virtual as people try to be social and distance themselves socially during the COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus outbreak: this is why you should practice social distancing.
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during coronavirus protection
- ABC7’s drive through San Francisco shows empty streets, shops closed
- Symptoms, prevention, and preparation for a COVID-19 outbreak in the United States
- List of stores, companies that are closing due to a coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled fees, free services available in COVID-19 crisis
- Here’s how you can help with a COVID-19 pandemic
- How to Keep Learning During School Closing
- No masks, but here are 100+ products that can protect you from novel coronavirus germs
- Here’s a look at some of the worst pandemics in history, which have killed millions of people
- Asian community battles racism, xenophobia, and bigotry as the world battles COVID-19
Copyright © 2021 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.