SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) – Someone stole hundreds of pipes from a group to help Asian seniors protect themselves from the recent surge in anti-Asian crime.
Dozens of volunteers were busy putting them together across San Francisco.
EXCLUSIVE: The 84-year-old Asian man warns other years after the brutal SF attack
The organizers left some boxes outside a house in the sunset so people could pick up some of the pipes and put them together, but someone mopped them up. 700 were taken, the group tells ABC7 News.
Those behind the project are disappointed.
“We were sad because people wanted to help the church and wanted to help our elders feel safe and then that someone would come by during the day and just steal pipes that would be of no use to them anyway other than having an additional 700 pipes heartbreaking “said co-organizer Denise Bethel.
The Whistle Project is still ongoing and there is a donation website that you can access here.
VIDEO: Bay Area Filmmaker Releases PSA To Stop Hatred Of Asian Americans
EMBED> More News Videos
Stop AAPI Hate is a movement that calls for an end to violence and harassment against Asian Americans. And now a San Francisco filmmaker is doing his part with a provocative new public announcement.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Asian Americans in the Bay Area share strong, painful memories of hatred
- The 83-year-old Asian man describes a debilitating SF attack and warns people to “be careful”.
- “Go back to China”: Racist rant suspect identified as the daughter of the late New York Senator
- The Asian-American victim is considering moving out of the state after a brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: The 75-year-old Asian man warned of an increase in attacks days before the Oakland murder
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination and violence against Asian Americans
- The Asian grandma was knocked unconscious in an unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged by SF DA’s description of the alleged murderer of the 84-year-old Asian man
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents have been reported in the US since March 2020, the group said
- “This is terrible”: SFPD steps up patrols amid series of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu and W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Jeremy Lin, the guardian of the Santa Cruz Warriors, comments on the racial fraud directed against him
- The #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds to San Mateo, with 7th grade leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim and Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in the Bay Area
- Police are investigating after an Asian man stabbed to death in Chinatown, New York City
- Burma Superstar is offering a $ 5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- “We are on the alert”: Volunteers arm contractors from Oakland Chinatown with air horns for security reasons
- Arrested in an attack on a Chinese woman in NYC after Olivia Munn sought help from the public
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort older Asian Americans to ensure their safety
- The rise in racism against Asian Americans is spurring change
- The Oakland Police Chief visits Chinatown shops, stressing the need for a “stronger presence” after attacks and crimes
Copyright © 2021 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.